Kenyon Jewelers: A Piece of Wilkinsburg History


The Kenyon Jewelers story began in the early 1920s when two brothers, Bret and Leonard Kenyon Sr. arrived from New York in search of careers in the clock- and watch-making trades. The brothers worked for others for several years, repairing watches and clocks. In 1924 Kenyon Brothers Co. opened its doors on Collins Avenue in East Liberty. The following year the company moved to Penn Avenue in Wilkinsburg, a burgeoning middle-class community with a developing Main Street and a railroad station. Here the brothers developed the store into a retail business heavily engrained in repair services. As Wilkinsburg prospered so did the Kenyons. 

In the 1950s Leonard Kenyon Jr. joined the company after training in hand engraving and watch repair. Although trained in these hand skills Leonard’s real talent was for retailing and he began to help his father and uncle move the store toward a stronger sales driven retail base. In 1964 Leonard Jr. moved the store across the street and down the block to its present location, a renovated old bank building housing not only his premier jewelry show room, but also a spacious modern apartment for his family to live. Leonard developed one of the Pittsburgh areas premier jewelry stores, with a large selection of sterling silver, watches, bridal jewelry, a diamond trade, and a service center employing both goldsmiths and watch makers. Leonard loved this business and was extremely dedicated to his customers. He was loved and trusted by generations of loyal customers throughout his career.

In 1996 Leonard retired entrusting his business to two long time employees, David Virostek and Douglas Duffus. David and Doug are trained and experienced goldsmiths and have continued the great traditions of two generations of the Kenyon family. Kenyon Jewelers continues to serve the Pittsburgh and it’s eastern suburbs specializing in diamonds, handmade jewelry, general jewelry repairs and antique jewelry restorations.


%d bloggers like this: